OASIS Open (OASIS) is a nonprofit consortium that drives the development, convergence and adoption of open standards for the global information society. For more information, visit OASIS Open online.
- Infrastructure hosted in unmanaged legacy environment on aging hardware.
- Unnecessary capital expenditures every three years purchasing hardware that often went underutilized.
- No easy way to patch and manage existing applications and infrastructure.
- Challenges when deploying new infrastructure and applications.
- Knowledge bottleneck - limited staff to run deployments.
How we approached the problem:
Initial Engagement - Cloud Migration:
- Initial “cut and paste” migration to Rackspace Cloud, which allowed us to manage risk and timeline, switch to utility computing, and eliminate upcoming capital expenditures.
- Creation of numerous Puppet modules and implementation of orchestration tooling to allow for fast and reliable management of Cloud infrastructure.
- Migration to the latest Puppet development workflow with r10k and environment support.
- Worked alongside the OASIS team throughout the process to ensure ongoing knowledge transfer and buy-in on the work we were performing.
Ongoing Relationship with our CoPilot service:
- Implementation of a Drupal plugin to support management of contributor license agreements.
- Implementation of a mail relay server to support mirroring technical committee mailing lists for public consumption.
- Development of an SSO solution to ease user management of technical committee users in Jira.
- Numerous application upgrades (Jira, Eventum, Moinmoin).
What OASIS gained from the engagement:
- Elimination of capital expenditures - OASIS only pays for the infrastructure they use each month.
- Better visualization into annual Cloud & Infrastructure expenses.
- Dynamic documentation in Github with orchestration and Puppet code - no more outdated Word documents or Wiki articles!
- Current, managed versions of software in use.
- Simplified management of user authentication and user authorization with SSO.
- Major reduction in anxiety around potential unexpected outages and disaster recovery needs.